Tuesday, September 19, 2006

I Want to be Phthalate Free!

This is a fabulous article by Emily Gertz about the materials our sex toys are made of. To summarize: Many sex toys are made of soft rubber material (cyberskin, jelly-rubber) that contains phthalates (THALE-ates). Phthalates are in PVC, and are most recognizable by their smell -- eau-de-new-shower-curtain. The stuff is considered toxic, and you probably don't want it in any orifice.

A review of my personal collection reveals:
  • 1 PVC toy (that's okay, it wasn't one of my favorites anyway)
  • 1 totally safe Vixen silicone toy
  • 1 toy of indeterminate material, but probably containing phthalates, which is sad. I really liked that one.
  • 1 stainless steel toy, my hands-down favorite, the Kegelcisor
The take-home lesson? You're always in the clear with silicone, steel, and pyrex glass toys. Definitely something to take into consideration the next time you're in the market.

No comments: