Thursday, October 05, 2006

VH1: Bi Curious Babes WHAT?

This just makes me feel gross.

VH1 has put together a one-hour documentary on the increasing trend of bi-curiosity in women. The network's website describes the show, citing the fact that
In a 2005 government survey of American sexual practices, 14 percent of the women surveyed aged 18 to 29 reported at least one homosexual experience -- more than twice the proportion for young men.

I'm sure the larger proportion of women who admit to homosexual experiences has nothing to do with the fact that it's popular to be a woman who does women(read: straight men approve), as long as you do men too. Being a queer man, on the other hand... well, that's still taboo. And you only do women? um... oh. So, umm... did you see Ellen the other day?

But that's not the point. The documentary follows several women to the Hedonism resort in Jamaica. With their husbands. The women are given the opportunity to explore their bi-curiosity on camera in hopes that it will "spice up" their marriages. What? Pardon me, but in my book that's not bi-curiosity. It's swinging, or an open marriage, or polyamory if you want to make a lifestyle out of it. I'm not doubting that these women are attracted to women as well as men. I'm pretty sure, though, that it would have been a better documentary if it had followed the dating lives of several single bisexual women.

You know, I've actually encountered people who thought that being bisexual meant having a man and a woman at the same time, on-call style. "Sorry, Dexter, I'm afraid I'm in a girl-mood tonight. Hand me the phone so I can call Olivia?" I stopped using the term bisexual partially for that reason, and partially because of the flak that ladies like me get from the "Queerer-Than-Thou" community (not to mention partially-reformed lesbian seperatists, as I discovered this summer).

Let's just clear up the myth here: I'm attracted to some women and some men. I'm not attracted to everyone in the world; I'm not being greedy; I have never had a strong desire to bring a lady into my bedroom when there was already a fella there. VH1, you're not helping me here.

No comments: