Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Condom Lubrication, Pronto!

Several weeks ago I noticed on Come As You Are, the website of an awesome Canadian cooperatively owned sex toy store, a claim that "While many people are unaware of it, most lubricated condoms use a silicone lube." Shortly thereafter, a friend noticed the same claim on the same page, and emailed me to confer about whether we thought it was true. I had never heard that before, and it concerned me. Silicone lube is bad for silicone and cyberskin toys. Here I am telling people to cover their dildos and vibes with condoms to make for easier, safer sharing and cleanup, and the lube on the condoms may be breaking down the material of their toys! So I sent out some emails that went something like this:

Dear Trojan,

I would like to know what kind of lube is used on your lubricated condoms.

Love,
Amanda


I sent the same email to Durex, Lifestyles, and Kimono. So far I’ve only heard back from Trojan. They not only sent me a lovely email within two weeks, but they also sent me information and a coupon via snail mail! Did you know that Church & Dwight manufacture not only Trojan Condoms, but also Arm & Hammer and Brillo, among many other products? Me neither.

But on to what’s important:

Dear Ms. [Amanda],
>
[…]In regard to your inquiry, most of our Trojan® condoms have a water- based lubricant. Our Trojan® Supra Condoms, which are made out of polyurethane, have a silicone-based lubricant.[…]
LaMarr Jefferson
Consumer Relations Representative


My guess is that this statement is representative of most other companies. Kimono, in particular, loves to promote the pH balanced, silky Aqua-Lube they use on their condoms. Generally speaking I’m willing to rest assured that my latex condom-covered toys are safe from both bacteria and breakdown.

Now, what to tell sex-toy users with latex sensitivity? I'll let you know what I hear from Durex about their Avanti polyurethane condom!

In the meantime, via Fleshbot, check this out: Pronto Condoms are easily applied in a matter of seconds, without fingernailed-hands ever having to touch them. Quite the innovation!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You just put your first and last name on a public blog post. I just wanted to put out there that your last name might be a good idea to omit. It's up to you, though.