Monday, November 20, 2006

Transgender Day of Remembrance

In the midst of a family illness, I nearly forgot that today is the 8th annual Transgender Day of Remembrance. Created to recognize and remember the lives of those killed due to transphobic violence, the Day of Remembrance also serves to increase awareness of acts of violence connected to transgender based hate. From the official website:
We live in times more sensitive than ever to hatred based violence, especially since the events of September 11th. Yet even now, the deaths of those based on anti-transgender hatred or prejudice are largely ignored. Over the last decade, more than one person per month has died due to transgender-based hate or prejudice, regardless of any other factors in their lives. This trend shows no sign of abating.


Many of the people who will read this live in a community where it's perfectly acceptable to be gender-variant and to talk about gender-variance openly. I myself often forget that for the rest of the world, it isn't that easy. Transgender Day of Remembrance is a good time for us, in particular, to take a minute to think about those struggles. And maybe to spread the word, because clearly the media isn't going to do it for us.

I wish I could be more eloquent. Sorry, guys, I just don't have it in me tonight.

No comments: