Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Life's Defining Moments

My family and I were having a "funny hospital stories" conversation when I realized that my own personal funny hospital story is actually kind of revealing:

I had my tonsils out a few years ago. When I woke up in the recovery room, the first thing I noticed was that my shoulders were bare. The first words out of my mouth after surgery were, "am I naked?"

I was not, in fact, naked, as the kind (and highly amused) nurse pointed out to me. My gown had slipped off my shoulders. It's just so unusual for me to wake up with clothes on!

What's that you say? You want more from a blog post than a silly anecdote? Fair enough. Check out this essay from The Huffington Post, called Feminism From the Gut. Here's a teaser:
When I told one friend that I now belly dance, she nearly spat out her coffee. "How can you do that?" she asked, "It's so repressive."

I thought about it, and I understood where she was coming from. The paleo-feminist ideal of how women should be tells us not to be feminine, but rather to reject all traditional forms that celebrate being female.

No comments: